Happy New Year from the CCO!
Another year over and a new one just begun … it is 2013! With the calendar turning over once again, it means a new baseball season is just around the corner. Here are a few numbers to put into perspective on just how close it is to the 2013 season … 17, 40, 53 and 90. As in 17 days until the 28th Annual Cubs Convention, 40 days until pitcher and catchers report to Fitch Park, 53 days until the Cubs’ Cactus League opener against the Los Angeles Angels in Tempe and 90 days before the first pitch of the 2013 season at PNC Park in Pittsburgh on April 1.
While the play at the big league level was historically bad, it was a great year for the CCO. The site set new highs in hits, unique visitors and return visitors and the new publishing software has opened up avenues to increase our coverage of the Chicago National League Ball Club in the New Year.
From the Cubs Convention to Spring Training to the daily grind of the season, we enjoyed last year and I tip my cap to all of the readers and commenters that fuel the CCO on a daily basis.
I would like to thank Tom and Brian for all of their hard work over the years … and to my buddy Jim that helps me keep the site on the World Wide Web.
It is hard to believe, and I’m very thankful, that the CCO begins its ninth calendar year today. The CCO will provide coverage of the Cubs Convention for the eighth straight year and will be in Arizona for the Cubs final Spring Training at HoHoKam Park.For last year’s words belong to last year’s language And next year’s words await another voice And to make an end it to make a beginning. -T.S. Eliot
- 4 – Single game tickets for Spring Training games at HoHoKam Park go on sale
- 5 – 15 – Salary arbitration filing period
- 9 – Hall of Fame Class of 2013 Announced
- 18 – Exchange of salary arbitration figures
- 18 – 20 – 28th Annual Cubs Convention
- 4 – 20 – Salary arbitration hearings (if necessary)
- 10 – Cubs Pitchers and Catchers Report to Fitch Park
- 11 – First on field workout for Cubs Pitchers and Catchers
- 15 – End of Waiver Period
- 16 – Beginning of New Waiver Period
- 16 – Cubs Position Players Report to Fitch Park
- 17 – Cubs First Full Squad Workout of the Spring
- 23 – Cubs Cactus League Opener vs. Angels (SS) at Tempe Diablo Stadium
- 24 – Cubs Spring Home Opener against the Giants at HoHoKam Park
- 2 – 6 – World Baseball Classic, First Round – Pool A
- 2 – 5 – World Baseball Classic, First Round – Pool B
- 7 – 10 – World Baseball Classic, First Round – Pool C
- 7 – 10 – World Baseball Classic, First Round – Pool D
- 8 – 10 – World Baseball Classic, Second Round – Pool 1
- 17 – 19 – World Baseball Classic, Championship Round – AT & T Park, San Francisco
- 8 – Single-Game Tickets for the 81 home games of the Cubs 2013 schedule go on sale
- 31 – All Clubs must reduce active roster to 25 players
- 31 – Opening Day for MLB
- 1 – Opening Day for Chicago Cubs – Cubs vs. Pirates at PNC Park
Happy New Year! I hope everyone has a happy, healthy and prosperous Two Thousand Thirteen … Eamus Catuli!