Hello again, everybody. It’s the Friday before the Winter Meetings!! That simmering stove you have been hearing it about to start smoking really quickly.
I mean, for other teams that is. The Cubs have already made two monumental signings.
Nonetheless, baseball news really gets a breakneck pace next week. So, let’s get down to the BRASS TACKS and enjoy some rambling.
- Let’s just get this out of the way … Joe Morgan is absolutely incensed Marvin Miller is not in the Hall of Fame, but he allegedly campaigns to keep Ron Santo out of it. In fact, he called it asinine.
- Mr. Morgan, do you know what is asinine …
- And this is not to say that Marvin Miller is undeserving or not worthy, but this is just nuts.
- The Cubs got Feldman! When is Haim going to sign? Too bad we can’t get those two back together. Oh, and Mercedes, er, I mean, a young Heather Graham.
- Oh, not THAT Feldman.
- Vitters got cut in the Venezuelan Summer League. Yea, that is a great foreshadowing of things to come. Really gets me excited.
- I don’t know this, but has anyone ever played in an All-Star game and literally sold to Japan before the beginning of the next season? Anyone? Bueller?
- Wow, I guess it’s an 80’s Movie Day.
- Then again, Bryan LaHair has 4.5 million reasons to like the Vapors.
- I hear there is new grass at Wrigley. Soto must be bumming big time.
- Several former Cubs are on the Hall of Fame Ballot for the first time this year … Rondell White, Kenny Lofton, Mike Stanton …
- And a personal favorite of mine, Todd Walker. Saw him at the Einstein’s Bagels on Southport. Shockingly, that was not as big of a story as when the one guy saw Theo Epstein at Starbucks on Wrightwood.
- Of all the free agent pitchers out there, I think I lean towards Brandon McCarthy, at least emotionally. As I have said, that is a great follow on twitter, and his wife is also extremely un-ugly.
- If I do this with my head, I end up on Shaun Marcum.
- So happy the Cubs did not give Upton $55 million. I predict Soler to be twice the player Upton is in just a few short years.
- Also, I am not good at predicting many things.
- Will the Cubs tender Ian Stewart? I think they have to given the circumstances. I am not saying I want this to happen, but that is what my head tells me.
- Get ready for the headlines about the Cubs’ hitters looking like deer in headlights.
- So, to be real, I am a diehard Notre Dame fan. My brain has been ND all the time. Last Saturday was awesome. Celebrating Thanksgiving with my family and then beating USC. I know half of you hate ND. That is fine. But we ALL love the Cubs.
- Monday my brain turns to baseball for the next few weeks. And I am so jacked up for it.
- Since I have not been as connected as I would like, I really cannot answer the following question:
- Please predict the biggest surprises of the winter meetings. The biggest overall surprise, and the biggest surprise for the Cubs.
- I expect them to sign a pitcher. Other than that, I truly have no feel. But after reading quite a bit today, no one really seems to have a good feel.
- And that is just the way McThoyer likes it.
- So as the Winter Meetings are about to begin, tell me what you want? For what to you hope? What would you like to see?
Next week could be very interesting for the Cubs and their fans. Please share your thoughts below and let’s have a great conversation on, what I hope is, a lovely Friday morning for you all.
And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!