Sure, I can sit here and regurgitate the news of the week as I normally do, or, I can try to change it up, get a little creative and try to have some fun. Because talking about the 2012 Cubs is just too hard, and I do not want to do it right now.
So, in its first installment, here is:
“Rambling from June 29, 2014 (also my 35 birthday) …
- Do you really think Rizzo can get Votto-like money? At this pace, it is not crazy, but he still has to keep this up. 29 homers in the first half is good, but …
- Did you guys hear … Ryan Theriot officially retired today?
- Brett Jackson struck out for the 102nd time last night. At this rate, he will never get called up to the Bigs. Anyone suggesting he move behind the plate and start using the name “Crash?”
- Do you think the Cubs will trade Garza at the deadline? Or should we sign him? Wait; haven’t we been having this same conversation for like, two years or something?
- Is it me or is it starting to get weird that Wood and Dempster keep showing up each day to hang out in the locker room?
- Soriano is really moving around well in left after that knee replacement last offseason.
- Winning two games in a row thanks to blown saves by Marmol is sweet. It’s even sweeter seeing that his control issues are happening under the arch.
- In 18 short months, Hamels has really taken to the Chicago lifestyle. The flowing locks are gone, the ‘stache is firmly in place, and he is really working the new beer gut quite well.
- Starlin Castro and Matt Szczur are on pace to break the record for most combined stolen bases by teammates. It is just a beautiful thing to watch.
- Between his action on the base paths and always knowing where to go with ball at short, it is hard to fathom this guy used to have concentration issues.
- Aaron, when will you learn that I am always right? You can send my 9th victory pizza to the usual address. Yep, still going with “crumbled sausage.” Thanks.
- It’s always a good thing when you lead the league in runs scored. It’s never a good thing when you lead the league in runs allowed. It is quite amazing the Cubs have been able to both thus far in 2014.
- The rooftop view from the new hotel at Clark and Addison is pretty sweet. However, it is just weird having a rum and diet during a Cubs game next to a girl in lycra and heels.
- I never said it was a bad thing. I just said it was weird.
- Wow, the remake of “Field of Dreams” is all about how umpire Doug Eddings is the real reason the White Sox won the World Series in 2005. They just can’t leave this poor team alone.
- Then again, down 0-2 and going back to LA … the producers kind of have a point.
- Kate Upton and I are officially engaged. I really appreciate all of your kind words and thoughts. You are solid people.
- I am still flying high about the Bears Super Bowl Championship!
- Back to the Cubs …
- I am really excited about this Triangle Building the Cubs plan to build behind the third-base grandstand. It will be a big upgrade over the current facilities.
- It will be awesome, but not as good as the new dish being served at Wrigley. The Italian Sausage and Beef combo rolled up in a slice of D’Agostino’s cheese pizza.
- I am so happy that Bryan LaHair was named the starting RF for the NL in the All-Star game. Especially for a guy who can’t play the outfield.
- I know the three-fifths of the starting pitching has struggled, but the combo of Cole Hamels and Travis Wood is the best lefty 1-2 punch in the league. Fun to watch.
- This just in: Jeff Samardzija will report to Bears training camp in Bourbonnais at the end of July.
- Congrats to Jay Jackson who has just been called up to make his first start for the Cubs taking the roster spot of Ted Lilly, who has officially decided to join the “Clubhouse Crew” with Wood and Dempster.
Yes, it’s an off-the-wall idea, but I hope it was enjoyed. Here’s to hoping the Cubs can sweep the Astros right out of Wrigley before America’s birthday!
And until next time,
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!