According to a report from the Tribune, “Cook County prosecutors have declined to lodge charges against Chicago Cub shortstop Starlin Castro after a woman accused him of sexually assaulting her at his Chicago home last year.”
Cook County State’s Attorney’s office worked with the Chicago Police Department to conduct a comprehensive review. There was not enough evidence to charge Castro with a crime according to the Tribune.
“There’s not sufficient evidence to bring a criminal charge in the case,” said Sally Daly,spokeswoman with the State’s Attorney’s office. The allegations were reviewed and everyone involved in the case, including the alleged victim, was interviewed by police, said Daly. The matter never made it to a grand jury, said Daly. Any available witness, all of the facts of the case were examined very closely, said Daly. The review of the case was exhaustive. She said that if any additional information becomes apparent or new witnesses come forward officials would look at the case again.“
The lawyer for the woman that accused Castro of assaulting her said he was disappointed with the prosecutor’s decision. Paul Zido did not rule out if a lawsuit would be filed against Castro.
Jed Hoyer issued the following statement Friday night: “We’re pleased for Starlin that this issue is resolved and glad that he can continue to keep his focus on baseball activities.”
Follow ChicagoCubsOnline on Twitter: @TheCCO