Hello again, everyone and happy Friday to you all. The Cubs’ stove has been simmering for weeks now, but we have not even come close to a hard boil. However, I have a distinct feeling that is all about to change. From Sapporo to Milwaukee, baseball news now comes from all over the globe, and the news is going to start rolling in to Chicago.
So, let’s get to some rambling and towards the end, look for the re-emergence of my favorite little “WTF” game.
Here we go …
- I might be the first person to use Sapporo and Milwaukee in the same sentence … ever
- Unless Sapporo is some crazy fun city with tons of cheese and beer and, um, unhealthy people.
- No, Chicago is not much healthier.
- Speaking of Chicago and Milwaukee … since one traversed north in free agency, I think someone else should move south.
- I know this is not news to anyone, but I agree that 5-year, $125 million contract with an option for a sixth year.
- I really hope the Cubs did not spend something north of $50 million to earn the right to pay for Yu Darvish. I know it’s not my money, but still, seems egregious for a question mark.
- Then again, it’s not my money, So … As long as it doesn’t prevent us from Prince, I could learn to live with it.
- The sabermetricians would like to tell you that Dice-K wasn’t a bust. And based on some numbers, he had an impressive WAR, but the second half of his contract was nothing better than extremely rough.
- When is Kerry Wood going to sign? I am not on the inside, but I am a bit surprised that he has not been inked yet.
- Then again, Theo and Jed have not been doing things any faster than extremely slow this offseason.
- And again, they have a touch more experience than I do.
- If Ricketts is willing to eat $45 million of Soriano’s salary, it’s hard to hate the owner. Not many would do so, especially when he or she had nothing to do with the contract.
- Hey, Kim. It’s Brian over here. How are you doing this week? Oh, you’re missing me? I figured as much.
- Coco Crisp. Come on. We already dealt with the board game, we don’t need to repeat it with a children’s cereal.
- Many folks were quick to worry upon hearing the news of the Cubs purchase of the neighboring McDonalds. No Mickey D’s right by Wrigley. No Ronny Don’s Café right across the street. No French fry smell wafting through the air. What is going to happen?
- Fear not, Big Mac aficionados, there will be a McDonalds in the new structure. That much has been guaranteed.
- And thank heavens because that McDonalds has been sobering up drunken 20-year-olds for years.
- What are everyone’s thoughts for second base? Darwin Barney’s second half is too reminiscent to Theriot. Thoughts, opinions?
- And now on to our game
- WTF is Wrigleyville going to look like in five years? Hotels, triangles, indoor walkways over Clark, the ideas are boundless.
- WTF is Marlon Byrd thinking? He wants another contract, but will he even be playing much come July?
- WTF could I not play pro baseball? Oh wait, I know that one.
- WTF is Mike Quade thinking? From charters and five-stars back to buses and meal stipends.
- WTF is the rotation going to look like on Opening Day. Depending on how things play out, it could be pretty scary.
And there we go. Another set of ramblings and some more WTF’s, ladies and gents. I can’t for everyone to just bring it below. Fire away, get creative, have some fun, and let’s start conversing.
I have a good feeling between the time I finish this and the time it is posted, some kind of news will break. It just has to.
And until then or until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!