Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!
Before I get goofy, giddy and grandiose, I want to take a moment and be serious.
Thank you to all of the Faithful. Thank you for coming to this site daily, reading, writing, sharing your thoughts and engaging in witty, intelligent, interesting and sometime contentious banter.
Neil is the lifeblood and the leader, but the readers are every bit as important.
So, here at the CCO, we THANK YOU for your continued patronage of this great site and hope that wherever you are, you are safe and loved.
So, with that said, let’s get to rambling and being thankful.
- I am thankful that Tom Ricketts is doing what he said he would do. It is so refreshing and promising.
- I am thankful for Theo Epstein. I still cannot fathom that he is the President of Baseball Operations for the CHICAGO CUBS.
- Dale Sveum … obviously we cannot judge at this point. However, when slews of colleagues endlessly rave about your communication skills, especially with young players, seems like a good idea at this point.
- If you disagree, let us know.
- I am thankful that Epstein is going to let Kerry finish his career in Chicago. Classy move.
- Then again, Wood has earned a two-year contract. When that ends, he will have pitched in the Bigs for 15 years.
- Who would have thunk his career would have lasted this long 10 years ago?
- I am thankful for Starlin Castro.
- My bold prediction: Matt Garza will not be on the Cubs next season.
- I believe Theo will trade him … unless he signs Prince. Which I do not see happening, but then again, I am not good at the prediction thing.
- If I were, I would live in Vegas and make millions.
- I am thankful for a real, true “Baseball Operations” department. The Cubs have an actual “Baseball department.”
- I mean, people have job titles, and there is someone to perform each job, not a handful to multi-task 365 days a year.
- I mentioned the season-ticket holder conference call with baseball management recently. During that call, Jed Hoyer said they are working 18-hour days. I like that. I like it a lot.
- Whether or not this is normal in front offices, I do not know, but it is good to hear nonetheless.
- I am thankful for a new CBA. No matter what I agree or disagree with, I am glad there is labor peace.
- I am thankful for Pat Hughes. (This is directly from Neil, but I am thankful as well.)
- I am thankful that Alfonso Soriano will play like he is 25 again next season.
- “Some say I am a dreamer …”
- I am thankful that of Jackson, Vitters, Lake and Szczur, at least two will play in our outfield for ten years.
- “Back to reality, oh, there goes gravity …”
- I am thankful for the fact that I actually have long-term hope in the Cubs. Not a one-season, out of nowhere, 1989 all over again thing, but real, sustained excellence.
- We are going to take a break from the “WTF Game.” We are playing the “I am thankful for” game.
- So, let us know below, what are you thankful for?
On this great holiday, I wish you the greatest Thanksgiving full of everything you want, whatever it is.
And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!