Theo Epstein will be formally introduced as the President of Baseball Operations for the Chicago Cubs at an 11:00am CDT press conference … in what is anticipated as being the largest press conference ever held at Wrigley Field.
Epstein officially resigned his post as the GM of the Boston Red Sox last Friday and showed up at Wrigley on Monday to take care of business prior to meeting the media and officially taking his new position.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 is all about Theo Epstein and hearing how he plans on turning the Chicago National League Ball Club, Inc. into perennial contenders.
- Theo Epstein will be the only introduction made at Tuesday’s press conference. Jed Hoyer is expected to be announced as the Cubs’ GM following the completion of the World Series.
- Theo Epstein had to be guaranteed that Crane Kenney would not be involved in baseball decisions. Kenney’s title has been changed from “Team President” to “President of Business Operation for the Chicago Cubs.” But, the Tribune questioned what Kenney’s role will be with the organization.
- Randy Bush, Oneri Fleita and Jimmy Bank were among those that joined Epstein for lunch on Monday.
- The Cubs and Red Sox have until November 1 to work out a compensation package for Theo Epstein … or Bud Selig will step in and mediate.
- Junior Lake was named the Arizona Fall League Player of the Week on Monday. Lake is tearing up the AFL and hit .455 with three doubles, a homer, eight RBI and swiped four bases last week. Lake leads the AFL with 11 stolen bases (11-for-11 in stolen bases in 15 games) and is hitting .355/.412/.661/1.073 with five doubles, a triple and four home runs. The 6-foot-3 shortstop turns 22 on March 27.
- Two tweets from Joel Sherman prior to Monday night’s game … “When asked about long shots with Cubs and Red Sox for manager, source said keep an eye on Dale Sveum and Mike Maddux. John Farrell tried to downplay talks he could go to the Red Sox as manager. Person in the know said he would be desired there … and with the Cubs.
- According to a report from Comcast SportsNet, the Marlins do not appear willing to take on Carlos Zambrano and his large contract despite Zambrano’s close relationship with Ozzie Guillen.
- And last but not least … according to a report from the Sun-Times, Mike Quade is expected to travel to Chicago to meet with the new upper management this week, and while sources suggest a decision hasn’t been made on his fate as manager, that may be primarily a matter of waiting until Jed Hoyer is officially in place as GM. Even sources close to Quade don’t expect him to return as manager despite another year left on his contract. As for Ryne Sandberg? Don’t rule out Sandberg managing the Cubs next season according to the Sun-Times … Sandberg could at least end up on the Cubs’ big league coaching staff.
Well, that’s the update … and I’m sticking to it.
Feel free to comment below on the Theo Epstein press conference. The CCO will post notes, links and tweet during the presser.
Follow the CCO on Twitter: @TheCCO