Good day everyone. Please note that I will try to stay facing forward during all important parts of this article. However, you must note, I really enjoy sunflower seeds, so my goal is easier said than done.
It is Friday, the Cubs are below .500 and Carlos Pena is still a Cub. With all of that said, how about we go rambling. I think everyone knows how it works. I spew a bunch of thought from my random stream of consciousness, and then you do the same below. Cool?
Let’s get to it.
- It is amazing how one simple move, like relieving a general manager of his duties, can change the view of a large cross-section of fans regarding the team’s owner.
- I know it has been said by many, but let me say it as well. Due propers to Jim Hendry for acting like a class man, assisting in getting players signed and departing with dignity.
- Here is another topic that has been discussed quite often, but it appeared that Starlin Castro his apology was sincere, and that he will work hard on his concentration.
- Friedmans, and Epsteins, and Cashmans and Beanes and Collettis oh my.
- This is going to be one very interesting October for the Cubs. At least a more interesting October than years past.
- My apologies if you consider six playoff losses interesting.
- I ask this question honestly: Why is Rick Hahn so coveted? Sure, he has a very impressive pedigree with degrees from Harvard and Northwestern. But why should we go after him instead of established GMs?
- Again, I am asking that in a serious manner. Please educate me on this.
- Susan Tedeschi sang the 7th-inning stretch. During her interview, she said, “I really like watching your guy Castro hit.” She seemed to have a decent knowledge of baseball.
- Also, Ms. Tedeschi’s husband Derek Trucks’ grandfather’s cousin Virgil Trucks pitched for the Tigers in the 1945 World Series at Wrigley Field. And that may be the most useless, but interesting, fact I have ever delivered in a ramblings column.
- The Cubs had four errors on Thursday. Another great way to sum up this season very accurately in seven words.
- Marlon Byrd is batting .200 with runners in scoring position.
- The Cubs team batting average is .262. That ranks eighth in the Bigs. This really shines a spotlight on pitching and defense being the huge problem.
- Braves outfielder Jose Constanza was 0-for-4 on Thursday. He should start taking the opposite approach. It worked for someone else with a similar last name.
- So, here it is: who do you want as the Cubs new General Manager?
- At least Matt Garza is consistent … or not. The guy can go out and straight shut down the opponent and then just look plain bad five days later.
- However, I must say that he has continually improved throughout the season, and I am somewhat excited to see how he improves next season.
- Selig appears to be giving some serious thought to award the 2014 All-Star game to Wrigley Field. I would very much like that. In fact, it would be great.
- I honestly thought Darwin Barney would have fallen off more by now. I am very impressed with his 2011 campaign. I really hope it is a sign of things to come.
- If I had to decide at this very moment, I would choose Andrew Friedman as the Cubs next GM.
- However, I think I will be okay with a few of the names being mentioned by the national pundits.
Let’s hear it. What do you think? Who should be the next GM? Why am I wrong? Or, if you are feeling generous, why am I right?
I want to have some fun with this. I look forward to it all.
And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!