Don’t call it a comeback!! Holy wow. It was fun to be a Cubs fan last night. Yes, you read that right. It was fun to be a Cubs fan.
It reminded me of 1989. The Cubs were down 9-0 to the Houston Astros. The game was out of reach and a run away from the “mercy rule.” And then some Walton, Smith, Grace and McClendon, and the next thing I know, Jerome Walton is scoring the 10th run in the 10th inning to win 10-9.
What was the score last night? Right, 10-9.
The 1989 Cubs won the division. The 2011 Cubs will NOT win the division.
So, as Marshall Mathers says, “Back to reality, oh, there goes gravity … ”
And with that said, let’s go rambling …
- The Cubs are 17 games under .500. So, let’s just go 32-10. Then they will be 5 games over, and be right back in the thick of things.
- I had a real tough time finishing that bullet. I honestly do not think any person alive would bet on the Cubs to do that.
- Matt Garza is, um; well, um, yea, not. Very. Good.
- But look at the Brightside, we have him for multiple seasons and gave away three big prospects to acquire him.
- So, it’s all good.
- I predicted 27 homers for Pena. Most thought that number was low. I was looking good for awhile. Now, it looks low. He is HOT. SO HOT. Kinda of like Hansel.
- Hey, buddy, I can’t see too well, is that Aramis Ramirez over there? It is! So good to see you.
- Would ESPN have had a minute-by-minute update on their website during Paul Molitor’s run to 3000 hits?
- No. The answer is no.
- Fook’s average is dropping. As sure as fireworks on the Fourth! Trade him now!
- Whatever you think about the Cubs or Marlon Byrd, you should respect the hell out of Marlon Byrd. If I took that fastball off my orbital bone, I would still be in the hospital. To come back and go for it like he has is nothing short of ridiculously admirable.
- I am putting this out there. Just follow me. I would rather sign Pena to a two-year extension than open the bank for Prince or Albert … or Prince Albert for that fact.
- This team is not going anywhere for a few seasons. It is a waste of money. I will take Pena’s defense and power for the next two years while others develop.
- And he will also help Castro a lot.
- Taking steroids in the Dominican league. Not a good idea.
- Taking steroids … not a good idea.
- Can Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds share a cell?
- Sorry, back to the actual baseball.
- I like Darwin, but he needs to bump up that OBP. If he can do that, he will make me excited.
- Pena’s OBP is over .340. Dusty would have been upset with him for clogging up the bases.
- I kid, I kid, I kid.
- Three solid starts for Zambrano, and the hopefully, we will bid adieu to the face of the Cubs pitching staff, and actually get a little in return.
- Who is the Blue Jays hitting coach? If Joey Bats is not paying him as well, he should be. The guy is ridiculous.
- No worries, the hitting guru is in the Cubs dugout. They will be all good with him.
- Hey, Blake DeWitt played last night. All those opportunities in left field are really paying off.
- And I just ended a sentence with a preposition so I am done.
- Almost done …
- Question for discussion below: Will Clemens be convicted? I think he will. Then again there was another trial this week where everyone thought the outcome was inevitable, yet it wasn’t. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
- And another sentence-ending preposition.
- Like Constanza after a great joke, I am out.
Quite a game last night, quite an event, but reality persists. It’s July 8th, so the Cubs have 23 days to get some decent talent. Let’s ship them, Jimmy. Please, let’s do it now.
And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!