Last week I took the ramblings in a different direction, but on this off day, I return to my normal random written steam of consciousness that is sometimes funny, sometimes witty, normally illogical and always entertaining. Well, at least I like to think it is.
So, let’s get back to my positive, upbeat, fun-loving style and ramble on while trying to figure out a few things.
- So, who exactly was that team I watched the past two games?
- Seriously, I really want to know because l like whatever team that was. And I want to see them play baseball again.
- Wait … that was the Cubs. That could not have been Dempster or Zambrano. Really? It was?
- Wait, I know I can’t see to well, but who is that over, Carlos Pena?
- Okay, I think you get it by now.
- On Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon, the Cubs looked like an above average baseball team. They converted in clutch situations and pitched like, well, good pitchers.
- And guess what, it came against a respectable squad with good players.
- I know … I know, it is only two games. And this is what it takes for the Cubs to win. Great execution, great timing, great pitching.
- But I just beg of us, let’s enjoy it when it happens. Maybe Pena, Demp and Zamby can build from this. Maybe not. But let’s appreciate it.
- And while we are appreciating things, let’s appreciate what Jeff Samardzija has been doing. Thanks to my best pal for uncovering some stats.
- The Shark has a 2.45 era, 20 K’s in 18.1 innings with a great average of 3.9 hits allowed in 9 innings and has only given up 4 hits in his last 8 appearances.
- Yes, he still walks way too many guys, but he seems to be coming around and showing some of the talent he displayed in 2008. It would be great if the bullpen could rely on him.
- And it would be great if Mark Riggins had something positive to point to when asked about his impact on the pitching staff.
- Ok. The trade has happened. It’s over. It is time to come to the realization that Matt Garza in on this team.
- He has only given up four earned runs in his last three starts and is second in the majors in strikeouts.
- And it can be argued that he should be 3-3 because Marmol’s two blown saves have come in games where Garza would have gotten the win.
- Fine … I like Matt Garza. I think that is abundantly clear.
- I just wanted to take this opportunity to say hi to Heidi DeRosa. I haven’t given her any love on the CCO in awhile. She deserves it. I know she was a favorite of many of you.
- Soto really has hit the ball hard. I expect that average to climb. And it is a really good sign that his OBP is almost 100 points higher than his average. I like what I have seen lately.
- I have gone way too long without mentioning Sean Marshall. He is awesome. Just such a great guy to have in the pen. His ERA is 0.75 in 12 innings.
- That is just ridiculous. In fact, it is tots defs ridic. Any 26-year-old girl reading knows what that means. At least that is what I was told by a 26-year-old girl who was a classmate in grad school.
- Oh, wait, did I get off-topic? Sorry.
- Nonetheless, two games do not a season make, but it is good to see. It is fun to watch. We saw what happens when it all goes right. I know it is not going to happen every day, but if some guys continue to contribute, this team might not be half-bad.
- And by saying half-bad, I am saying no more than .500. I am not saying anything more.
I hope the faithful enjoyed the Dodgers series as much as I did. Two wins and no more starts from James Russell. I would say that is a good outcome. And no offense to Russell, he is just not ready to start. Let’s hope the West Coast momentum continues this weekend at 1060 W. Addison. Go Cubs!
And until next time,
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!