According to multiple reports, the Cubs optioned Tyler Colvin to Triple-A Iowa following Monday’s loss to the Reds. The Cubs have not announced the corresponding roster move.
Rumors have suggested that either Luis Montanez or Tony Campana will take Colvin’s spot on the Cubs’ active roster. The Cubs have only one other outfielder on the 40-man roster, Fernando Perez, the addition of either Montanez or Campana would take the final open spot on the 40-man roster, which currently stands at 39.
Updated – 11:23am CDT – According to multiple reports, the Cubs have added OF Tony Campana to the 40-man roster and called up from Triple-A Iowa
Jim Hendry spoke with Colvin Monday and shared parts of his conversation with the media.
“He definitely needs to go play,” general manager Jim Hendry said. “He had a really good year for us, and since the first days of spring training he never played up to that level. We’re in the production business. It wasn’t that he wasn’t given enough at-bats. He didn’t earn enough at-bats. The other guys here outplayed him. He needs to go down and play for a few weeks and once he does we can go back to the plan we had for him. He completely understood and was looking forward to getting some at-bats.”
From Comcast SportsNet:
Colvin has been blocked by Alfonso Soriano, Marlon Byrd and Kosuke Fukudome. But bench players Reed Johnson, Jeff Baker and Blake DeWitt have also made claims for more playing time in the outfield. “He’s not swinging the bat well and even his approach at the plate is not what made him good last year,” manager Mike Quade said before Monday’s 7-4 loss to the Reds. “You want to give people opportunities, but you got to have contributions. (You’re) responsible for your performance. And to play him ahead of these other guys that are playing pretty darn good right now is a tough thing.”
Tyler Colvin was promoted from Double-A Tennessee in 2009 and has not played at the Triple-A level.