Off day Thursday means it’s a fun-filled Thursday of ramblings. There is a lot going on, and it was a LONG day at Wrigley yesterday. A very long day, indeed. So, there is a lot to be said about the past week of baseball. Some good, some bad, some blah. But that is what you get with a team that is floating around the .500 mark.
So, let’s stop putting off the inevitable and get down to the brass tax. Let’s start rambling!
- So, when is Garza going to say to Marmol, “Hey, I know I am the new guy, but stop messing with me, please. Just get the outs.”
- As Neil pointed out, Marmol has blown two saves. Both would have been Garza victories.
- Jeff Samardzija has looked a lot better. Someone posted during “Talkin’ Live” during the first game that he was a new man. I can’t say it any better myself.
- I know he pitched against the Padres, but I don’t care. And positive momentum is a good thing. We will see. He has plenty of time to show otherwise.
- Hopefully, unemployment or getting his arse kicked all over the football field is enough motivation to kick it into gear. It would be nice if he went all “Shark ’08” on us!
- We have all said it, thought it and felt it. Get Marlon OUT of the third spot. This is just too much. I can’t take it anymore. I cannot.
- Holy Reed Johnson. That was just awesome. He is good for something like that once a month.
- Reed just hustles and tries so hard all the time. It is so refreshing. Which is why it is hard to admit what has to be said.
- But, as much as I love Reed’s heart and drive, it is not enough to block the future.
- It is getting very close to Brett Jackson time. He is hitting better this year than Castro did at this point last year at Tennessee.
- It will be hard to hold him back. It is time to unleash him.
- Carlos Marmol has blown two saves in 17 games. That is two blown saves in 6 chances. That is a conversion rate of 66.7%.
- That is NOT good. If he wants to keep his nickname as “White Castle” he cannot keep walking guys. Riggins needs to fix this immediately.
- While I cannot take credit for White Castle (I heard it on the radio), and if you do not know why, it is because he serves up sliders that make you s – – t your pants.
- Yes, I know, it is a very good nickname.
- This offense is putrid, horrid, disgusting, pathetic, gross, sickening …
- Do I need to keep going or was that clear enough?
- I like watching Kosuke Fukudome play baseball in April. He is really good.
- Too bad the season goes on for five more months.
- Oh, wait; did I just state the obvious? Yes, yes I did. I am the master of the obvious. I can teach you how to be one as well if you are interested.
- How refreshing was it that the Cubs got two quality starts in two games? I forgot pitchers were allowed to do that.
- I am sorry, but James Russell is not a major-league-caliber starter. He might not be a major-league-caliber pitcher PERIOD.
- Also, who was that on the mound Monday evening? Wait; was that the Carlos Zambrano I have heard about before?
- It would be really nice if he wanted to do that again … and again … and again. Like at least four times every five starts. Is that asking too much?
- Casey Coleman impresses me. I like him. That is all.
- What is going on all over James Russell’s face? Does he think that looks good? Seriously. And before anyone brings up Brian Wilson, Russell is not the face of the franchise or one of the heroes of a triumphant World Series team.
- Aramis is on pace to hit NINE homeruns. Whoa. Slow down A-Ram. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
- After the way the record started this season, I think there is a very good chance that the Cubs will finish the season at … 81-81.
Well, that is all for now folks. Enjoy the off day. If you are in Chicago, stay warm during this ridiculous spring weather. Let’s hope we can take care of the MLB-run Los Angeles Dodgers over the weekend.
And, finally, to those who are celebrating, Happy Easter!
Until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans