It has been a few weeks, but it is Friday, and it is time to ramble. The Cubs are fresh off of a victory over the Red Line rival and getting ready to head north. We have sprung ahead as hope springs eternal every year for Cubs fans. So, let’s get down to the brass tax and start rambling. Here we go …
- Opening Day falls on April Fool’s Day this year. Insert any line here about the Cubs being a bad joke or fooling us season after season.
- Sporting News ran a brief box story about Matt Garza and his propensity to allow many fly balls. It was not comforting to read nor was watching Omar Vizquel tattoo a ball over the wall in right field yesterday afternoon.
- Omar Vizquel has had 10,226 career at-bats. Vizquel has 80 career homerun. In 21 seasons, that averages out to less than four homers per year. Do I need to keep spelling this out?
- I am really excited about cheering for Kerry Wood on Opening Day. I cannot even imagine the emotions. That is going to be very cool. I really hope that is not the highlight of the season.
- I am really scared this will be the highlight of the season.
- Starlin Castro has me very excited about his potential. He has been raking this spring and is leading the team in homers. Aaron Boone said during yesterday’s telecast that it is just a matter of time before he starts hitting the ball out with consistency.
- I feel bad for Scales. It appears everyone thought he earned a spot. Apparently, he never had a chance.
- At least that is my opinion. He could not have done more to make the squad. So, if he never had a chance, it appears his presence didn’t really motivate DeWitt.
- However, it appears DeWitt lost his job at second to Barney.
- Did anyone else notice that Fukudome has struggled this Spring? His batting average is not that much better than DeWitt’s.
- In other words, it is NOT good.
- If this has been mentioned by someone, I apologize in advance, but is it me or has Carlos Marmol put on some “pudge?” He looks a bit hefty. Not that he is Carlos Silva, but I noticed a difference.
- You just knew Carlos Silva was going to have a solid outing Wednesday. You just knew it would happen. I hope the decision-makers are not fooled by this. Give the job to Cashner. Please.
- I have said it before, and I will say it again … when there is money to be made, athletes normally step up to the plate. And in this literal and figurative case, Aram will step up to the plate.
- Fukudome is hitting .195 this spring.
- Colvin will be starting in right field every day by June 1st. The only exception is that if the Cubs are struggling, and they are showcasing Fukudome for a trade.
- Sorry, the last sentence I typed made me laugh.
- Welington Castillo is batting .667. Koyie Hill is batting .037. Castillo will be sent down, and, unfortunately, I kind of understand why.
- Castillo excelling in Triple-A would be great motivation for Soto, and allow Castillo to see regular at-bats.
- If I had one hope for the season, it would be that the “Three C’s” continue developing, give us hope for the future.
- And one last thing, I think we have tried before, but we need a good nickname for the “Three C’s.” Present your idea below, and we will pick one over the next week!
Well, that is all for now, faithful. I hope I have entertained and educated. If I annoyed and agitated, then I am sorry. But since most people, especially women, find me awesome, I am sure you all had a great time reading.
I cannot wait for next Friday! No matter what, Opening Day is one of the greatest days of the year!
I hope each and every one of you has a great weekend.
And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!