Game Thirty-One: Cubs (14-16) vs. Reds (14-15)
Game Time – 6:10pm CDT
Coverage – TV: Comcast SportsNet – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channel 185
Location – Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati
Tom Gorzelanny (1-3, 2.48/1.10) vs. Aaron Harang (1-4, 6.68/1.51)
Updated 3:27pm CDT – Esmailin Caridad activated from 15-day DL – Jeff Gray Optioned to Triple-A Iowa
Updated 5:09pm CDT – John Grabow was sent back to Chicago for MRI on his left knee. Results were negative but Grabow will miss at least two games.
Can Lou Piniella’s crew win two games in a row? Now that Starlin Castro has made his big league debut and Ryan Theriot has moved to the other side of the diamond, the next hurdle for the Chicago Cubs is to reach and pass the .500 mark. And the first step is to take care of business against Aaron Harang and the Reds tonight.
Tom Gorzelanny and Greg Maddux have developed a close relationship. According to a report from Dave Kaplan, Maddux and Gorzelanny “talk regularly and text daily about the nuances of pitching and staying positive.” After each start Gorzelanny and Maddux also break down his performance. So Maddux is contributing in ways many do not know about …
According to reports on Friday, Tyler Colvin will start one of the remaining two games in Cincinnati.
Mike Fontenot will remain the Cubs’ backup shortstop according to a report from the Sun-Times. Piniella said he does not want to mess with moving Ryan Theriot back and forth.
Keep an eye on Andrew Cashner. Several reports on Friday indicated Cashner could join either the Cubs rotation or pen not too far down the road. Cashner was promoted to Triple-A Iowa on Friday.
With Castromania in the rearview mirror … tonight it all starts with Tom Gorzelanny.
Gorzelanny has thrown the ball better than his 1-3 record … thanks to Greg Maddux.
The Cubs’ other southpaw in the rotation put together a very good outing the first time he faced the Reds this season. Gorzelanny was in line for the win until the bullpen gave it up again. The Cubs are 1-4 in Gorzelanny’s five starts this season.
Tonight will be Gorzelanny’s eighth career start versus Cincinnati … 3-2 in seven starts with a 4.95 ERA and a 1.46 WHIP.
Reds Career Numbers against Tom Gorzelanny
- Jay Bruce – 1-for-2 with a home run and a walk
- Orlando Cabrera – 2-for-8 with a walk
- Miguel Cairo – 2-for-6 with a double
- Chris Dickerson – 1-for-4 with a double and a walk
- Jonny Gomes – 0-for-9
- Ryan Hanigan – 0-for-5
- Ramon Hernandez – 0-for-2 with a walk
- Micah Owings – 1-for-3
- Brandon Phillips – 2-for-17 with a walk
- Scott Rolen – 4-for-7 with 2 walks
- Drew Stubbs – 0-for-3
- Joey Votto – 1-for-9
The Cubs will see a very familiar face on the mound for the Cincinnati Reds. Aaron Harang will make his 24th career start against the Cubs … and the old Aaron Harang appears to be back.
Harang picked up his first win of the year back on April 27 against the Astros … then put together a good outing against the Cardinals. Houston managed two runs on eight hits in six innings. Harang struck out six and walked only one.
Chris Carpenter out pitched Harang in his last outing. Harang struck out six and did not walk a batter for the second time this season (April 10 versus the Cubs), the Cardinals beat the Reds 6-0. Harang allowed three runs on seven hits in six innings.
The Reds’ number one pitcher is 0-2 in three starts at home this season with a 6.11 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP.
The Cubs beat the Reds the first time they faced Aaron Harang in Twenty-Ten. Harang received a no-decision after a solid performance against the Cubs. Lou Piniella’s offense scored only three runs on four hits in seven innings, while Harang struck out seven … his season-high. In his first 23 starts versus Chicago, Harang is 9-8 with a 4.59 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP.
Cubs’ Career Numbers against Aaron Harang
- Marlon Byrd – 3-for-9 with a home run and a walk
- Mike Fontenot – 7-for-20 with a double, 3 home runs and 2 walks
- Kosuke Fukudome – 7-for-18 with 2 doubles, a home run and 4 walks
- Koyie Hill – 1-for-5 with a walk
- Derrek Lee – 16-for-59 with 3 doubles, 5 home runs and 6 walks
- Xavier Nady – 10-for-27 with 3 doubles and a home run
- Aramis Ramirez – 15-for-52 with a double, a triple, 4 home runs and 2 walks
- Alfonso Soriano – 9-for-34 with 2 doubles, a home runs and a walk
- Geovany Soto – 5-for-17 with 2 doubles, a home run and 2 walks
- Ryan Theriot – 11-for-39 with a double and 2 walks
- Carlos Zambrano – 3-for-17 with a double and a home run
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …