Spring Training Game Six: Cubs (3-2) vs. Giants (6-1)
Game Time – 2:05pm CST
Coverage – TV: None – Radio: MLB.com (Giants feed)
Location – HoHoKam Park, Mesa
Carlos Zambrano (0-0, 0.00/0.00) vs. Jonathan Sanchez (0-0, 0.00/3.00)
The Cubs will square off against the Giants for the first of two times on the spring this afternoon. The Cubs travel to Scottsdale during the final week of Cactus League play to face the Giants on March 30.
Carlos Zambrano will make his second start of the spring. Like Randy Wells, Zambrano should pitch three innings this afternoon against a new-look Giants offense that should include Mark DeRosa. Zambrano threw the ball extremely well against the Diamondbacks last Friday. Big Z completed two perfect innings of work. The Cubs offense will see one of the better young pitchers in the league this afternoon in Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez faced the Diamondbacks in his first outing of the spring as well. Sanchez struck out three, walked three and surrendered three hits in his first two innings of 2010.
Notes from Mesa
- Lou Piniella said before Tuesday’s game that the lineup he ran out (Theriot, Fukudome, Lee, Ramirez, Byrd, Soriano, Fontenot and Soto) could very well be the one he uses on Opening Day.
- The Cubs will not make their decision on the fourth and fifth spots in the rotation until at least the third week of March. Each pitcher will have at least two more turns before the Cubs make any decisions.
- Ted Lilly will throw another bullpen session on Wednesday. Lilly is hoping to get into a Spring Training game soon.
Players Not Appearing in Cactus League Action
After five games, there are several players that have yet to make their spring debut … granted losing two games last Sunday cost a few players time on the field. Here is a list of players that are on the 40-man roster or received non-roster invites to big league camp that have not seen any action:
- Rafael Dolis*
- Jeff Gray* (injured, dealing with groin strain with no set timetable for his return)
- Ted Lilly* (injured)
- David Patton*
- Thomas Diamond
- Vince Perkins
- Steve Clevenger
- Blake Lalli
- Xavier Nady* (in Wednesday’s starting lineup as the Cubs’ DH)
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …