Spring Training Game Five: Cubs (3-1) vs. Brewers (2-3)
Game Time – 2:05pm C.T.
Coverage – TV: None – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channel 186
Location – HoHoKam Park, Mesa
Randy Wells (1-0, 0.00/0.00) vs. Jeff Suppan (0-0, 0.00/0.00)
The Cubs return to HoHoKam Park this afternoon for the first match-up of the year against the Milwaukee Brewers. The Cubs will face the Brewers two more times this spring, both in Maryvale … and both times as split-squad games. The Cubs open their home schedule on April 12 against the Brewers.
Randy Wells will make his second the spring. Wells tossed two perfect innings with a pair of strikeouts in his first outing against the A’s last Thursday. Will Wells apply what Greg Maddux has been telling him this spring? Maddux has been talking with the pitchers about the importance of setting up hitters in the Cactus League. The Brewers are running out Jeff Suppan to start the game. Suppan is coming off an excellent start of his own. In his first outing of the spring, Suppan threw two perfect innings with a strikeout.
Today will also be the first time the Cubs will see Jim Edmonds in his new uniform.
News from Mesa
- Ten pitchers threw one inning each in simulated games in Mesa on Monday. The Cubs lost two valuable Spring Training games on Sunday with the heavy rain in the area.
- Larry Rothschild feels the Cubs have five or six young pitchers that can complete for a job in the bullpen.
- According to Bruce Levine, candidates for the bullpen include James Russell, Casey Coleman, John Gaub and Jeff Stevens. Coleman has the stuff to be a starter, not a reliever and hopefully the Cubs do not try to make Coleman into something he is not.
- Xavier Nady is expected to start on Thursday in Peoria against the Padres. The Cubs were hoping to have him start the game against the Giants on Wednesday. Carlos Zambrano is starting Wednesday’s game against the Giants at HoHoKam and Piniella has decided to let Zambrano get his cuts in and not use the designated hitter.
- Ted Lilly threw 30 pitches off a mound on Sunday … his second time this spring, first with some intensity according to a report from Cubs.com.
- Bruce Miles pointed out a few pitchers to keep an eye on … Casey Coleman, Jay Jackson and Chris Carpenter.
WGN-TV Cubs Baseball Ad
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball …