It’s official: Today is the last Friday without baseball for almost eight months. It just feels great to write that down. With pitchers and catchers reporting next week and Z already in Mesa working hard, it is time to start rambling on down the road.
Here it goes:
- Okay, seriously, I keep making jokes about Zambrano and Soto doing a Jenny Craig commercial, and what to my wandering eyes did appear, but a GEORGE COSTANZA! Come on. This could be gold, folks. Zambrano and Costanza! Make it happen. Now.
- I keep forgetting Randy Wells is in the Cubs starting rotation. Why is that? Oh, because I am scared about him and think a lot of his success was smoke and mirrors. I’m just saying …
- Before I forget … how many Expos fans will be in Cooperstown next summer?
- That is what I thought. The Hawk is just as disappointed as Cubs fans. Mr. Hall of Fame Dictator: there is something wrong with this. Just because Wade Boggs threatened to go in as a “Devil Ray” doesn’t mean you have to decide for every player.
- I expect a big year from Dempster. I think he has head back in the game now that his daughter seems to be doing better. With improved focus, I think he can regain his ’08 form.
- Do you believe in Starlin Castro? And if not, why? Let me know below. I know he was just rated a top-15 prospect by Keith Law, but I don’t have hope. Why … well, basically because of Corey Patterson, Felix Pie, etc. I could go on for hours.
- I sure as heck hope Starlin Castro is awesome.
- Last week I wrote about how the Cubs would be an average team. I think I have had some blue kool-aid in the past seven days because I am really starting to get excited.
- Fukudome, Theriot, Lee, Ramirez, Byrd, Soriano, Soto, Castro ……………………
- That has the CHANCE to be one heck of a starting 8. Key word: CHANCE … HAS A CHANCE
- Another question to the readers: Whether it is Center or Right, barring injuries, how long until the X-Man is a starter? I say it happens before the All-Star break.
- I expect big things out of Theriot this year, especially if he moves to 2B. He will be out to prove a lot after going through the arbitration process with the Cubs. He will definitely have the “proverbial” chip on his shoulder.
- Why does everyone seem more comfortable about Jeff Baker being a back-up option at 3B when everyone ripped Hendry for Fontenot being there last year? Aren’t those two splitting time at 2B? Is Baker that much better than Fontenot?
- Yes, I know we have Chad Tracy, but he isn’t guaranteed a spot on the 25-man roster at this point.
- If his magic works in Chicago, Rudy Jaramillo is going to be one heck of a popular man on the North Side. And I would also wager a bet that he would become even better known nationally.
- Oh, Mark Prior. Where are you? I think I have said this before, but remember when the Twins drafted Joe Mauer because they didn’t think they would be able to sign Prior. SON OF A ………
- Hindsight is, indeed, 20/20.
- Fans will be able to watch games under the rightfield bleachers on Flat Screens. Yea, that should help the traffic mess on Sheffield. WOW.
- I am excited to get into the stadium and see the changes. This would be a great time to take your first tour of Wrigley Field or take another one.
- Owners taking action. Refreshing, isn’t it?
- Hopefully this is the start of a beautiful friendship.
Baseball starts again on Wednesday. I am thrilled.
Until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!