The Cubs open a big four-game series on Thursday afternoon against the Cardinals…and one thing is for sure, the only walks Lou Piniella’s staff should issue for the next four games is to Albert Pujols.
With first pitch not until 1:20pm C.T., here are a few Cubs’ tidbits…including notes from Crane Kenney on WGN Radio, a link to an online petition to have a statue erected for Ron Santo outside of Wrigley Field, a new Cubs’ song and a couple videos from the earlier in the week.
In bullet point format, here are a few highlights from Dave Kaplan’s time on Wednesday night with Crane Kenney.
- Dave Kaplan asked about adding players at the trading deadline. Kenney said “God willing we will have a new owner by then.“
- The Cubs have payroll flexibility to add players at the deadline
- The Cubs current front office is looking forward to having the new owner in place to run things by
- Crane Kenney is currently keeping Tom Ricketts up to speed with the team on a weekly basis
- Kenney is thinking one of the first things Tom Ricketts will do once he takes over is to set the team payroll
Get Ron Bronzed
Garry Meier launched an online campaign to have a statue of Ron Santo erected outside of Wrigley Field…called “Get Ron Bronzed“.
Mr. Meier, who along with his former partner Steve Dahl, was responsible for Disco Demolition Night on July 12, 1979 at old Comiskey Park, wants “The Ultimate Cub” to be immortalized outside of the Friendly Confines.
Cubs on Film
Rich Harden on his loss to the Rockies
Len Kasper and Pat Hughes on the passing of Harry Kalas
New Cubs Song
From WGN.com…take a listen