Here is your mid-week update for our Young Cubs. As always you can check out my site at www.youngcubsworld.com for daily updates of the big performers.
Andrew Cashner made his season debut on Sunday for the Daytona Cubs. Cashner allowed one run on one hit in 2 2/3 innings with walk and two strikeouts.
Peoria Chiefs – Class A
The Chiefs had their first game rained out on Monday. They also made two roster moves, one was to add Justin Bristow, who is coming back from nerve issues in his throwing elbow and they then promoted Jose Pina to Daytona to make room for him on the roster.
They won all three games that they played this week, sweeping a double-header against Cedar Rapids. In all they have won five straight games and will look to continue for the rest of the week against Burlington.
Monday 4/27 – Game postponed due to rain, make up will be a double-header on Tuesday.
Tuesday 4/28 – Chiefs sweep the double-header with back-to-back shutouts against the Cedar Rapids Kernels.
- Winning Pitcher: Chris Carpenter (1-1)
- Offense: Josh Harrison: 1-for-2, 1 double, 1 R; Rebel Ridling: 0-for-2, 1 RBI
- Winning Pitcher: Chris Archer (1-0)
- Offense: Rebel Ridling: 3-for-3, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI; Josh Harrison: 2-for-3, 1 R, 1 RBI
Wednesday 4/29 – Chiefs shut down and shut out the Burlington Bees-9-0
- Winning Pitcher: Alberto Cabrera (1-1)
- Offense: Tony Campana: 3-for-3, 3 R, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 2 SB; Rebel Ridling: 1-for-5, 1 R, 1 double, 2 RBI; Kyler Burke: 2-for-5, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 RBI; Josh Vitters: 2-for-5, 1 R, 1 double
Daytona Cubs – Class High A
Monday 4/27 – Cubs start the week with a “W” 4-2 over Brevard County
- Winning Pitcher: Ryan Searle (2-1)
- Offense: Robinson Chirinos: 3-for-4, 1 R, 1 double, 1 triple; Nate Samson: 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 RBI
Tuesday 4/28 – Cubs no hit by Brevard County’s Evan Anundsen-lose game 1-0
- Losing pitcher: Stephen Vento (0-2)
- Offense: Nothing at all, not one hit, all the Cubs could manage was one walk by Nate Samson
Tennessee Smokies – Class AA
The Smokies lost two of their three games to begin the week, but overall they were able to take the divisional lead and are now in front by half a game. They will finish out their week by starting a five-games series with the Huntsville Stars (Milwaukee Brewers).
The big story of the week was Jay Jackson returning to form and not only throwing a good game, but he also did a Carlos Zambrano impersonation with a home at the plate.
Monday 4/27 – Smokies lose game late 4-6 to Carolina Mudcats
- Losing Pitcher: Brian Schlitter (0-1)
- Offense: Steve Clevenger: 3-for-4, 1 double, 1 triple, 2 RBI; Tony Thomas: 2-for-5, 1 double, 1 R
- Losing Pitcher: Casey Coleman (3-1)
- Offense: Ty Wright: 1-for-4, 1 HR, 1 RBI; Kyle Reynolds: 1-for-3, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI; Welington Castillo: 2-for-4 2 R, 1 HR 2 RBI
- Winning Pitcher: Jay Jackson (1-3)
- Offense: Darwin Barney: 3-for-5, 2 RBI; Brandon Guyer: 2-for-4, 2 R, 1 double; Jay Jackson: 2-for-2, 1 HR, 1RBI
Iowa Cubs – Class AAA
The Iowa Cubs split their two games to start the week and had Wednesday off. The day off was nice if not for the Cubs then definitely for the other pitchers in Triple A…a day off from having to face the red-hot Jake Fox.
In the two games this week he has a total of four runs, three home runs, and four RBI. The Cubs are still deciding on whether or not to put Aramis Ramirez on the DL, but if they do it seems that they will call up Bobby Scales instead of Fox, which makes sense because of the versatility he can bring… but it sure would be interesting to see what Fox could to in the majors.
- Winning Pitcher: Randy Wells (3-0)
- Offense: Doug Deeds: 2-for-4, 1 HR, 2 R, 2 RBI; Jake Fox: 2-for-3, 3 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 1BB; Brad Snyder: 3-for-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI
- Losing Pitcher: J.R. Mathes (3-2)
- Offense: Jake Fox: 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 double, 1 HR, 2 RBI; Andres Blanco: 2-for-4, 1 double, 1 RBI; Brad Snyder: 1-for-3, 1 R, 2 BB
Wednesday 4/29 – No Game