While most were paying attention to college basketball, the Cubs had a very busy weekend. On the field they rolled over the White Sox, lost late to the Rockies and Mark DeRosa powered the Indians over Ted Lilly on Sunday.
Lou Piniella named Kevin Gregg his closer on Sunday…Carlos Marmol was disappointed. Brad Snyder was outrighted to Triple-A Iowa on Friday, their 40-man roster stands at 37 players. The Cubs cut their spring roster to 30 players on Sunday after they optioned Kevin Hart and Randy Wells to Iowa. So Taguchi was re-assigned to minor league camp, along with Mark Johnson, Andres Blanco, Brad Snyder and Esteban German…and the Cubs cut ties with another first round draft pick.
Here’s a quick recap with links to all of the full articles on the CCO, plus possible trade interest in Chad Gaudin and Angel Guzman according to Bruce Miles….
According to a report from Bruce Miles, the Cubs “appear to be getting some trade feelers on reliever Chad Gaudin and maybe even Angel Guzman.” As Bruce Miles pointed out, Gaudin did not help his cause on Sunday. Miles did not mention which team or teams have shown interest.
David Patton, on the other hand, is making a case to start the season with the Cubs.
News from the Weekend
- Cubs Beat the White Sox, 9-4 – Z Rollin’ Rollin’ Rollin’ Z-over the Sox
- Cubs Outrighted Brad Snyder to Iowa
- Rockies Beat Cubs, 10-6 – Oh Wells! Cubs’ Pen Implodes in the Eighth
- Kevin Gregg Named Cubs’ Closer
- Cubs Option Wells, Hart – Re-Assign Taguchi – Reduce Spring Roster to 30
- DeRosa and Wood Returns to Mesa – Indians Beat Cubs, 7-5 – Lovin’ Every Minute Of It…DeRosa Sticks it to the Cubs
- Cubs Release Mark Pawelek