Two days after the reporting day for pitchers and catchers, Luis Vizcaino is the only pitcher not in Camp Lou III according to a report from Cubs.com. Vizcaino “is having visa problems.”
Many of the position players have shown up early to Mesa, among them Milton Bradley, who is “eager to get started and take batting practice.” Reporting day for the rest of the team is Tuesday with the first full squad workout scheduled for Wednesday….a week before the Cubs’ first game of the Cactus League schedule against the Dodgers.
Updated 1:34pm C.T. – With Additional Info from Sunday – Harden Throws off a Mound
- Sean Marshall is favored to win the 5th spot in the rotation according to Cubs.com
- Ryan Dempster predicted a breakfast spread and peanut butter and jelly for lunch this year.
- Rich Harden wants to make at least 30 starts this season.
- Mike Stanton could join Neal Cotts as the other southpaw in Lou Piniella’s pen according to the Sun-Times.
- Keith Law from ESPN.com told Chet Coppock on Sunday morning that he is concerned about Carlos Zambrano’s shoulder and put the over/under on wins for Zambrano below 14.
- Reed Johnson has dropped 14 pounds this off-season.
Other position players reportedly in camp early include:
- So Taguchi
- Mike Fontenot
- Ryan Theriot
- Reed Johnson
- Darwin Barney
Update – 1:34pm C.T.
According to a report from the Sun-Times, Rich Harden threw off a mound on Sunday a day after starting a lot of speculation about his health with long toss in the outfield. The Sun-Times reported no problems with Harden on Sunday.
The Cubs issued uniform numbers to the additions made to the 40-man roster:
- Aaron Heilman – 47
- Paul Bako – 24
- Richie Robnett – 19
Video of Day Two – WGN TV
Will update if additional information becomes available on Sunday