Game One Hundred Forty-Five: Cubs (86-58) vs. Cardinals (78-66)
Game Time – 7:15pm C.T.
Coverage – TV: Comcast SportsNet – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channel 189
Location – Busch Stadium, St. Louis
Ted Lilly (13-9, 4.43/1.32) vs. Braden Looper (12-11, 4.09/1.30)
“We’ve just got to go out there tomorrow and try to win a baseball game. Have fun. We’re putting pressure on ourselves to do more than we’re capable of doing.”
Lou Piniella’s crew is 5-5 versus the Cardinals this season and it is past time to win a ballgame. Look for Carlos Marmol to not be available tonight and for Kosuke Fukudome to be back in the starting lineup in right field.
WGN Radio and TV reported during Tuesday night’s game that Chad Gaudin is in Arizona rehabbing and there’s no timetable for his return.
Lilly was solid in August and posted a 3-2 record in 6 outings with a 3.35 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP….the two losses and the no decision were by a combined score of 7-6. To say Lilly has not received any run support would be an understatement.
Tonight will be Lilly’s 17th road start of the season. He is 7-4 in the first 16 with a 4.42 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP.
Lilly is 1-0 in 3 starts against the Cardinals this year with a 3.10 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP….at Busch this season, 1-0 in 2 starts with a 3.46 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP.
With Braden Looper on the hill for Tony LaRussa, Lilly must bring his A game tonight. The Cubs offense has traditionally struggled against Looper both as a reliever and as a starter.
- Rick Ankiel – 3-for-12 with a double and a home run
- Troy Glaus – 1-for-17
- Cesar Izturis – 5-for-12 with 2 doubles
- Adam Kennedy – 6-for-18 with a double and a home run
- Braden Looper – 2-for-6
- Felipe Lopez – 2-for-11 with 2 home runs
- Ryan Ludwick – 2-for-14 with 2 doubles
- Yadier Molina – 4-for-21 with a home run
- Albert Pujols – 8-for-23 with 2 doubles and 2 home runs
- Brendan Ryan – 4-for-17
- Skip Schumaker – 1-for-10
For as inconsistent as Braden Looper has been this season, he is always at his best against the Cubs. Looper has dominated the franchise and even when the Cubs beat him, it is usually a very low score. He is 3-4 in 6 career starts, 38 appearances, with a 2.40 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP while the Cubs have hit just 25 points over the Mendoza Line against him (.225) ….Looper is 0-1 in 2 starts against the Cubs this season with a 2.57 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP.
Looper is coming off a no decision against the Marlins and gave up only 1 run on 4 hits in 7 1/3 innings with 6 strikeouts and no walks….this was after surrendering 8 runs on 11 hits in 4 1/3 innings to the Astros on August 30th.
Looper was 2-3 in 6 starts last month with a 3.89 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP.
- Henry Blanco – 2-for-8 with 3 walks
- Ronny Cedeno – 1-for-5
- Mark DeRosa – 1-for-17
- Jim Edmonds – 2-for-7 with 2 home runs
- Mike Fontenot – 0-for-7
- Kosuke Fukudome – 1-for-6 with a home run
- Reed Johnson – 0-for-3
- Derrek Lee – 6-for-21 with a double and a home run
- Aramis Ramirez – 5-for-22 with 3 walks
- Alfonso Soriano – 1-for-11
- Geovany Soto – 4-for-8 with a double and a home run
- Ryan Theriot – 5-for-17
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball….