After 51 games, the Cubs are in first place in the National League Central….a half game ahead of the Cardinals and a game and half up on the Astros with a 30-21 record (20-8/10-13). While most know Carlos Zambrano’s ERA (.247) and WHIP (1.18), the fact Derrek Lee hit his 12th home run of the season on Monday and that Mark DeRosa leads all everyday players with a .315 batting average, Carlos Zambrano is tops on the club with a .343 average. But how many of the Faithful realize Aramis Ramirez holds a slim lead for the top OBP on the team over Mark DeRosa…. .410 to .406? And that Geovany Soto, .569, has the highest slugging percentage on the team.
Here are a few other notable numbers…. The Cubs are the only National League team in the top 5 in batting average, OBP and slugging percentage. Lou Piniella’s team is tied with the Braves for the top spot in the NL (2nd in baseball) with a .283 batting average, leads the majors with a .366 OBP and are 5th in baseball with a .445 SLG.
Kosuke Fukudome is second among all rookies with 53 hits. Geovany Soto is third with 50.
The Cubs rank 4th in the National League in home runs with 56 behind the Phillies, Marlins and Reds. Of the 56 home runs, 26 are solo shots, 20 are 2-run homers, 9 are 3-run homers and the Cubs have hit 1 grand slam in 2008.
The Cubs are 11-7 against left-handed starting pitchers and are 19-14 against right-handers.
Derrek Lee’s 1st inning home run on Monday was the 250th of his career.
The Cubs offense has scored 6 runs in a single inning 6 times this season.
The Cubs offense has recorded 7 extra base hits in 3 different games this season.
The most walks in a single game this season was 11 on April 7th against the Pirates.
Geovany Soto and Alfonso Soriano (twice) are the only Cubs to have multi-home run games this season.
The only Grand Slam hit by the Cubs this year was by Ronny Cedeno on April 22nd against Jorge Sosa of the New York Mets.
The Cubs have hit back-to-back home runs only one time this season, Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez on April 11th against the Phillies.
Mark DeRosa holds the record for the longest hitting streak this season. DeRosa hit safely in 11 straight games from May 9th to May 20th.
Ryan Dempster’s 12-strikeout performance against the Padres on May 15th is the high water mark for strikeouts this season.
Ryan Dempster did not allow a run in 13 straight innings from April 3rd to April 15th.
Carlos Marmol did not allow a run in 14 consecutive innings from April 21st to May 17th.
- 27-2 when leading entering the 6th inning
- 25-1 when leading entering the 7th inning
- 26-1 when leading entering the 8th inning
- 27-3 when leading entering the 9th inning
- 0-2 when tied entering the 6th inning
- 0-3 when tied entering the 7th inning
- 2-4 when tied entering the 8th inning
- 2-3 when tied entering the 9th inning
- 3-17 when trailing entering the 6th inning
- 5-17 when trailing entering the 7th inning
- 2-16 when trailing entering the 8th inning
- 1-15 when trailing entering the 9th inning
- 21-8 when the Cubs score first
- 11-16 in games decided by 1 or 2 runs
- 27-3 when the Cubs out hit their opponents
- 2-14 when the Cubs are out hit by their opponents
- 25-4 when the Cubs score 4 or more runs
- 5-17 when the Cubs score less than 4 runs
- 21-8 when the Cubs play errorless ball
- 8-13 when the Cubs make at least 1 error
Finally….the last walk-off home run hit by the Cubs came on June 27, 2007 off the bat of Aramis Ramirez.