Game Nineteen: Cubs (12-6) vs. Mets (10-7)
Game Time – 6:05pm C.T.
Coverage – TV: ESPN Monday Night Baseball, WCIU – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channel 174, 184
Location – Wrigley Field, Chicago
Carlos Zambrano (2-1, 3.04/1.12) vs. John Maine (1-1, 3.78/1.80)
Lou Piniella’s crew opens a 2-game series tonight against one of the best teams in the National League….the New York Mets. Ron Santo’s favorite team is coming off a big series in Philadelphia where they took 2 of 3 from the Phillies.
The Cubs offense has been clicking on all cylinders….26 runs in the past 2 games, but will face a big test tonight against one of the NL’s elite teams….
Carlos Zambrano is 3-1 in 6 career games, 5 starts, against the Mets with a 3.30 ERA and a 1.37 WHIP….last year, 1-0 in 2 starts with a 1.38 ERA and a 1.38 WHIP but with 10 walks and only 8 strikeouts.
- Carlos Beltran – 1-for-10 with a home run and 6 walks
- Luis Castillo – 5-for-10 with 6 walks
- Endy Chavez – 5-for-17 with a triple and a home run
- Ryan Church – 3-for-14 with 2 doubles
- Carlos Delgado – 3-for-13 with a home run and 6 walks
- Jose Reyes – 2-for-13 with a double
- Brian Schneider – 4-for-13 with 2 doubles
- David Wright – 2-for-11
After a rough first outing of the year, John Maine has turned in two good starts and most importantly his team has won both games. Maine allowed 1 run on 5 hits in 6 innings in a no decision against the Phillies on April 10th. Maine walked 5 and struck out just 1. He did pick up a win against the Nationals his last time out….2 runs on 5 hits in 6 2/3 innings with 4 walks and 4 strikeouts. Maine has walked 12 batters in 16 2/3 innings this season with just 10 strikeouts.
Maine is 0-2 in 4 career games, 3 starts, against the Cubs with a 5.17 ERA and a 1.60 WHIP….last season, 0-2 in 2 starts with a 10.57 ERA and a 2.22 WHIP in 7 2/3 innings.
- Reed Johnson – 2-for-3 with a double and a walk
- Mark DeRosa – 1-for-2
- Derrek Lee – 0-for-1 with 2 walks
- Aramis Ramirez – 2-for-8
- Ryan Theriot – 2-for-5 with a double
- Daryle Ward – 3-for-4 with 2 doubles
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball….