Game Seventeen: Cubs (10-6) vs. Pirates (7-9)
Game Time – 12:05pm C.T.
Coverage – TV: Comcast SportsNet – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channel 183
Location – Wrigley Field, Chicago
Jason Marquis (0-0, 5.23/1.74) vs. Tom Gorzelanny (1-1, 6.75/1.84)
Updated – 10:25am C.T. – Matt Murton Recalled – Eric Patterson Optioned
The Cubs will try to make it two in a row today against the Pirates. Jason Marquis is still looking for his first win of the year but the Cubs are 2-0 in games he has started. The Cubs offense will have their hands full today with southpaw Tom Gorzelanny.
According to a report from the Chicago Tribune on Friday night, Reed Johnson will be at the top of Lou Piniella’s lineup today….
Marquis is performing the way a 5th pitcher should, he is keeping his team in games and giving them a chance to win….unfortunately with the way Lou Piniella’s starting rotation has performed in the first 3 weeks, the Cubs need a little more from Marquis.
Marquis is 5-5 in 18 career games, 14 starts, against the Pirates with a 4.20 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP. Two or Marquis’ best starts a year ago came against Pittsburgh….as well as one of his worst, 2-1 in 4 starts with a 5.18 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP with a complete game shutout.
- Jason Bay – 13-for-34 with 4 doubles, a triple, 4 home runs and 5 walks
- Ryan Doumit – 4-for-12 with 2 doubles and a home run
- Adam LaRoche – 3-for-18 with a double and a home run
- Nate McLouth – 4-for-11 with a home run
- Nyjer Morgan – 2-for-2
- Xavier Nady – 2-for-13 with a home run
- Freddy Sanchez – 3-for-22 with a double and a home run
The Cubs will get their second look of the season at Tom Gorzelanny. Gorzelanny had dominated the Cubs before his last start against them on April 7th. The Cubs scored 7 runs on 6 hits with 4 walks in 2 1/3 innings. Reports after the game indicated Gorzelanny was sick and he should be out to prove a point today. Gorzelanny beat the Reds in his last start. He allowed 1 run on 4 hits in 6 1/3 innings with 4 walks and a strikeout. The Illinois native grew up a White Sox fan and loves beating the Cubs….
- Ronny Cedeno – 4-for-8 with a double
- Mark DeRosa – 3-for-8 with 2 doubles
- Derrek Lee – 6-for-10 with 2 doubles and a home run
- Matt Murton – 4-for-10 with 2 doubles
- Aramis Ramirez – 2-for-13
- Geovany Soto – 5-for-7 with a double
- Ryan Theriot – 1-for-8
- Reed Johnson – No Official at bat – 2 Walks
Update – According to a report on ESPN 1000 on Saturday morning, the Cubs have recalled Matt Murton from Triple-A Iowa and have optioned Eric Patterson back to Iowa. Murton will be available for Saturday’s game against the Pirates.
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball….