Game Fourteen: Cubs (8-5) vs. Reds (6-8)
Game Time – 7:05pm C.T.
Coverage – TV: Comcast SportsNet – Radio: 720 WGN, XM Radio Channel 186
Location – Wrigley Field, Chicago
Carlos Zambrano (1-1, 3.20/1.07) vs. Josh Fogg (1-1, 7.00/1.33)
Lou Piniella’s crew will try to make it two in a row against the Reds tonight behind their ace, Carlos Zambrano. The Cubs must continue what they started on Tuesday night….score early and often and keep the pressure on a very good lineup. The Reds will be desperate for a win after dropping four in a row. Hopefully, the ‘good‘ Zambrano will show up with the same stuff he had in his first two starts of the year.
Carlos Zambrano has struggled against the Reds the past couple of years. He is 10-9 in 27 games, 23 starts, in his career versus the Reds with a 3.39 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP. Last year, however, despite turning in one of his best career outings against the Reds in July, Zambrano was 2-4 in 6 starts with a 5.30 ERA and a 1.63 WHIP….and the ‘Big Red Machine’ hit a robust .294 against him.
- Adam Dunn – 11-for-49 with 6 home runs and 13 walks
- Edwin Encarnacion – 8-for-28 with 2 home runs and 3 walks
- Ryan Freel – 3-for-19
- Ken Griffey, Jr. – 11-for-30 with 5 doubles, 2 home runs and 5 walks
- Jeff Keppinger – 4-for-11
- Brandon Phillips – 8-for-24 with 3 doubles and 3 walks
Corey Patterson will face his former teammate for the first time tonight.
Josh Fogg will make his first start against the Cubs as a Red….he signed a 1-year deal with Cincinnati in the off-season. Tonight will be his third start of the season after a start very similar to Ted Lilly. Fogg has not pitched past the 5th inning and many think once Homer Bailey is recalled, Fogg will be the odd man out. Fogg has allowed 9 runs, 7 earned, on 9 hits in 9 innings with 3 walks and 6 strikeouts.
Fogg is 7-7 in 20 career starts against the Cubs with a 5.69 ERA and a 1.42 WHIP….he beat the Cubs last year in Colorado and allowed 2 runs on 5 hits in 6 innings.
- Mark DeRosa – 4-for-6
- Derrek Lee – 13-for-32 with 4 doubles and 2 home runs
- Aramis Ramirez – 9-for-27 with a double and 4 home runs
- Alfonso Soriano – 4-for-12 with a home run
- Ryan Theriot – 2-for-6 with a triple
- Carlos Zambrano – 3-for-6 with a home run
Let’s Talk Cubs Baseball….