Updated – 4:52pm C.T. with Information from Bruce Levine
Updated – 6:04pm C.T. It’s Official – Soto Recalled and Pie Optioned
According to a report on ESPN 1000 by Bruce Levine, the Cubs will call-up Geovany Soto before Friday’s game against the Astros. Geovany Soto has had a good first half at Triple-A Iowa and just played in the XM Futures Game last Sunday. The report did not mention a corresponding roster move.
Bruce Levine is also reporting there are three serious bidders for the services of Cesar Izturis. The update on ESPN 1000 did not mention any of the teams interested but stated if Izturis is traded Ronny Cedeno will be recalled from Iowa as well. If Geovany Soto is recalled that would likely move either Rob Bowen or Koyie Hill off the big league roster. The likelihood of Piniella carrying three catchers is slim to none.
The next 24 hours should be interesting.
There has not been an official announcement from the Cubs on the possible roster moves. Will update when more information becomes available.
Update – Bruce Levine was on ESPN 1000 just after 4:00pm C.T. and had a little more information on what he has been reporting this afternoon. He did mention he should have more to report later tonight when he is on the radio.
- Cesar Izturis – Levine used the words “extremely interested” this time instead of “serious bidders”. Levine mentioned two of the teams are the Blue Jays and Orioles. Izturis is owed $1.8 million for the remainder of the season.
- Ronny Cedeno – The Cubs want to bring Cedeno back up.
- Geovany Soto – Levine is not sure what move or moves the Cubs will make in order to make room for Soto on the active roster. He said he should know more later in the afternoon.
- Ryan Dempster – Could return by the Giants series.
- 11 Pitchers – Levine said the Cubs will likely remain with 11 pitchers through the Astros series considering they are coming off a four day break. He mentioned the Cubs are actually at 10 with the fact Piniella has refused to use Scott Eyre in pressure situations but they are planning on giving Eyre another shot in the role he did well in last year.
- Kerry Wood – Levine said Wood is doing well in Mesa with his rehab and could go on a 2-3 week rehab assignment very soon.
- Wrigley Field – Levine actually led with the conditions of the outfield at Wrigley before the other news he reported. He said the outfield grass between the 368 mark and the 368 mark is “destroyed” because of damage done during the recent Police concerts. He went on to mention the Cubs may try a repair job but it might wait until after the 10-game homestand in order to give the new sod time to take.
Update – 6:04pm C.T. – According to reports on ESPN 1000 and on the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs have recalled Geovany Soto from Triple-A Iowa and they have optioned Felix Pie back to Triple-A Iowa. According to ESPN 1000, Soto will start on Friday and catch Carlos Zambrano. As of now, the Cubs will have three catchers on the roster when the season resumes on Friday.