The 2007 Baseball season is upon us which means it is time for the first installment of ramblings. So much has happened in the past four weeks regarding Cubs baseball, I do not even know where to start, but I do know that my head is cluttered with thoughts, you may share some, I hope you share others, and for your sake I hope you have no idea what I am talking about sometimes. So, without further ado, here I go rambling on after an off day.
- Mark Prior was sent to the minors and then made a sarcastic joke about making the All-Star team. He really chaps my you know what sometimes, get serious kid and earn back your respectability. (note Prior has been left in Arizona for extended spring training)
- Just when you thought the Tribune company had turned a corner, they go ahead and announce the sale of the Cubs, steal the thunder on Opening Day, and in the process make it much tougher for the Cubs to sign Carlos.
- Speaking of, if he wins the Cy Young, the price tag will be in excess of $130 million.
- Cliff Floyd will not get too many splinters riding the pine if Murton keeps striking out three times a game.
- Bob Brenly warned everyone yesterday that Murton cannot think too much batting in between the most prolific three man gang in the League, and yesterday it appeared he did exactly that.
- In the interest of full disclosure, I am rooting hard for Jerry Colangelo to buy the Cubs. A hard-nosed Chicago guy with a history of building great franchises, he would be a perfect fit.
- However, Mark Cuban would be a ton of fun.
- If Wrigley Field is manipulated in any way by a new owner, words do not do justice to what I will do or how I will feel.
- Adam Dunn is a large man, his life consists of homeruns, strikeouts, fishing and I would offer a guess that there are a few beers interspersed throughout that threesome.
- Did anyone else hear Mark Prior joke about being sent to the Minors?
- Kerry Wood started the season on the DL, everyone hates George Bush and The University Florida won a National Championship, yep, the more things change the more they stay the same.
- Speaking of Florida, I was rooting for a quintuplet overtime game where no one came out victorious, yes, yes, yes, I am a bitter fan of an Indiana school, there I admitted it.
- This coming weekend is one of the best of the year, Easter, the Masters and Opening Day at Wrigley, it just doesn’t get any better than this….(cue the Old Milwaukee and Swedish Bikini Team).
- Love them or hate them Donald Trump and Vince McMahon sure know how to garner publicity.
- I had to watch the “Lead-Off Man” three times to figure out the ‘other’ person they kept interviewing was Neal Cotts, and I am still not sure about it, I would not bet on it unless I had at least 3-1 odds.
- Yes, I just got back from Vegas, the glaring lights of the Sports Book are still emblazoned in my brain, sorry.
- In a side story, the Casinos were NOT giving out free money last weekend.
- By the way, the Cubs are 4-1 to win the World Series.
- Mark Prior was sent to the Minors and cracked a joke about it, he really raises my opinion of him every chance he gets.
- Len Kasper is so much better than Chip in my opinion, he has developed a ‘homer’ voice. His distraught after both of Dunn’s homeruns came through loud and clear. Now throw him a few Budweisers during the game and we will be ready to rock.
- Speaking of Broadcasters, Brenly is so much better than he was the first season I wonder if it was actually Bill Cowher in the booth instead of Brenly.
- I know it makes sense for weather purposes, but is there any other bigger tease than having an off day the DAY AFTER Opening Day….the answer is yes, I was just in Vegas, but you get my point.
- The greatest thing about Opening Day was the word “Dude” was nowhere to be seen while Lou described Carlos’ poor outing. There was no excuse, no sugarcoating and no ‘cool guy’ style to it, he straight up said it was bad. Man that was refreshing.
- Finally, did anyone else catch Mark Prior joking about his demotion to the minors, man I absolutely loved it.
So there you have it, my random thoughts the morning of the second game of the year. Oh, the most beautiful and pure game has begun once again and I could not be happier.
Feel free to contact me at [email protected], and until next time….
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!!