The Cubs are expected to formally introduce Alfonso Soriano at a Thursday Press Conference according to several reports including one on WGN. Soriano will wear his familiar number 12 when he is introduced to the press and to the Cubs Faithful. Earlier in the week the details of Soriano’s contract were released and here is the breakdown…. From the Chicago Tribune and the Associated Press
- $8 million dollar signing bonus
- $9 million in 2007
- $13 million in 2008
- $16 million in 2009
- $18 million in 2010 – 2014
Soriano will donate $25,000 annually to the United Way and $25,000 to Cubs Care
- $250,000 for collecting the most All-Star votes
- $350,000 if he is selected as World Series MVP
- $250,000 if he is selected the LCS MVP
- $300,000 if he is selected the league MVP
- $75,000 if he wins a Gold Glove
Soriano has a complete no-trade clause for the duration of the contract and he will have a suite on CubsÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ road trips plus 6 premium tickets for each home game for Spring Training, regular season and All-Star game if he is selected.
The Cubs also lost their 2nd round pick and sandwich-pick (between the 1st and 2nd rounds) in the 2007 draft as compensation to the Washington Nationals for signing Soriano. The Cubs cannot lose their 1st round pick in the draft, it is protected as being one of the first 15, the Cubs pick 3rd next season.