Mark Prior Strikes Out 10 and Roster Changes Plus Adam Greenberg Signs with the Dodgers
Mark Prior made his fourth rehab start on Tuesday for the Iowa Cubs in New Orleans against the Zephyrs (Washington Nationals) and had his strongest outing of the year by far. Prior struck out 10 and even added a hit on the night after a nine pitch at bat. Prior allowed only 1 run and it was unearned. Prior threw exactly 90 pitches, 63 for strikes, on the night and threw into the 7th inning. He allowed only 4 hits and was very “Prior-like” down in Cajun Country….the I-Cubs came back and won the game 2-1 on a double by Buck Coats.
The only run that Prior surrendered was an unearned run in the 6th inning. Henry Mateo reached on an error by Mike Fontenot, only his 5th of the season. Mateo stole 2nd, one of two on the night and scored on a single to right by Ryan Church. Geovany Soto threw out Church attempting to steal 2nd and Prior struck out Larry Broadway to end the inning. Prior was allowed to hit in the 7th with the bases loaded and 2 outs and he struck out to end the inning. Prior and the Cubs wanted to get 90 pitches and at the end of 6 he had just 84. Prior struck out his 10th batter of the game, Mike Vento, to start the 7th and got Tyrell Godwin to ground out to Ryan Theriot at short for his last pitch and out on the evening….Jerome Williams pitched the rest of the 7th and got 1 out in the 8th. Michael Wuertz pitched the last 1 2/3 of the ballgame to record his second win of the season.
Prior threw very good on Tuesday night and reports are indicating that the Cubs will decide on Wednesday what Prior’s next step will be and it will all depend on how he feels. Prior could make another rehab start on Sunday or possibly make his season debut in Chicago within the next week.
– Thomas Atlee was promoted from West Tenn (AA) to Iowa (AAA) on June 9th. Atlee pitched in 25 games for the Diamond Jaxx in relief and was 2-3 with a 1.67 ERA in 43 innings of work. Atlee recorded 2 saves, 33 strikeouts and 11 walks.
– Jon-Mark Sprowl (catcher) was promoted from West Tenn (AA) to Iowa (AAA) on June 9th. Sprowl hit .233 (7-30), no home runs and 5 RBI’s in 19 games for the Diamond Jaxx.
– On June 9th, the Iowa Cubs placed Mark Watson and Jeff Deardorff on the DL.
– Sean Gallagher, the Cubs 2005 Minor League Pitcher of the Year, was promoted to the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx (AA) on June 12th. Gallagher was 4-0 with a 2.30 ERA in 13 games for the Daytona Cubs with 80 strikeouts and 21 walks in 78 1/3 innings.
– Jon Mueller was promoted to the Iowa Cubs (AAA) on June 11th after pitching only one game for the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx (AA). Mueller did not pitch in 2005 and was in Mesa during Extended Spring Training. In one game with the Diamond Jaxx, Mueller threw one perfect inning and in his only appearance with the I-Cubs on Monday he gave up 2 runs on 2 hits, walked 2 and struck out 2 in 2 2/3 innings of work.
Adam Greenberg signed a Minor League contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers on June 8th and was assigned to the Jacksonville Suns (AA).
The future is looking bright….