The Cubs today traded Mike Remlinger to the Red Sox for Olivo Astacio and cash considerations.
I would like to wish Mike Remlinger the best. He has always seemed to be a class act.
Also, today the Cubs optioned infielder Ronny Cedeno to Iowa to make room for Corey Patterson on the roster. Hopefully this is the last time Cedeno will be in the minors. I really think this kid has the goods to be the Cubs everyday shortstop for many years. An infield of DLee, ARam and Cedeno could be the best infield this team has seen since the late 60’s early 70’s..of Santo, Beckert, Kessinger and Banks…but we will have to wait to see.
Also, I have been reading a lot about how much the Cubs’ payroll is this year and how does a $100 million dollar team not make the playoffs? Here are my thoughts:
1) $11 Million is in right field or DHing for Baltimore…had to be
done..no more future in Chicago
2) $8 Million just hit his first homerun of the season today
3) $3.5 Million is in San Francisco, doing what he was supposed to
do in Chicago, set up the closer
4) $1.2 Million will no longer be pitching
5) $2.3 Million is in Tampa, saving games for the Devil Rays
6) $8.5 Million is pitching one inning a game now
7) $2.8 Million just returned from AAA Iowa
8) $3.8 Million was just DFA’d and traded to the Red Sox for a prospect
So of that $100 Million dollar payroll, $41.1 million is NOT doing what they were paid to do. So who is not doing their job…Mr. Hendry? Mr. Baker? Or the players?
…just a THOUGHT!