The Day of Rest…. This is a quick preview of what I will be doing in the offseason, days of etc. I will post little tidbits, reviews, roster moves…just things that will make you think. This is one of the many tidbits I will share.
Just in case we need to remember how hard it can be to be a Cubs fan, here are 20 major events that have occurred since the Chicago Cubs
last laid claim to a World Series championship:
1. Radio was invented… Cubsfans got to hear their team lose, now there is XM that adds to the frustration.
2. TV was invented… Cubs fans got to see their team lose.
3. Baseball added 14 teams… Cubs fans get to see and hear their team lose to more clubs.
4. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.
5. Haley’s comet passed Earth… TWICE.
6. Harry Caray was born… and died. Incredible, but true.
7. The NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won championships in each league.
8. Man landed on the moon.
9. Sixteen U.S. presidents were elected.
10. Eleven amendments were added to the Constitution.
11. Prohibition was created… repealed.
12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became the subject of major motion pictures, the latter giving Cubs fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.
13. Wrigley Field was built… and becomes the oldest park in the National League.
14. Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field’s roof to hold all of the team’s future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.
15. A combination of 40 Summer and Winter Olympics have been held.
16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown; maybe another this year, Go DLee.
17. Bell-bottoms came in style and went out… and came back in.
18.The Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks and the Florida Marlins have all won the World Series.
19. The Cubs played 14,153 regular-season games, and lost the majority of them.
20. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma and New Mexico were added to the Union.
I know Red Sox fans thought they had it bad, notice the past tense. But while Red Sox Nation has Babe Ruth, the ’75 Sox and Bill Buckner. The Cubs Faithful are stuck with a goat, Leon Durham and Steve Bartman…. Just something to think about.